Danish Rice Pudding with Almonds
Recipe By:Linda Pedersen
“This is a Christmas favorite that allow us to enjoy the wonderful rich flavors and festive colors of this dessert. It is a rice pudding like no other. On Christmas it is a tradition to add a whole almond to the bowl. The one who gets it, wins a prize.”
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup chopped blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1/2 (.25 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen raspberries – thawed and drained
- In a saucepan, bring the milk to a boil, and then add rice. Reduce heat to simmer, and continue cooking for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a small saucepan, mix the sherry and gelatin; stir over low heat until the gelatin is dissolved. Stir in the sugar until completely dissolved, and then stir in vanilla. Stir into the rice with the chopped almonds. Refrigerate.
- Pour cream into a bowl, and whip until light and fluffy soft peaks appear. Fold into chilled rice pudding. Serve in small bowls, topped with frozen raspberries.