Pollo (Chicken) Fricassee from Puerto Rico
“This is the authentic way to make Pollo Fricassee in Puerto Rico. You can either make in on the stove or in your slow cooker. It is delicious and very easy to make! Serve with white rice, tostones, and a nice salad. This tastes even better when you prepare the night before; just take it out of the refrigerator the next morning set it to cook.”
- 1 pound chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning
- 1/2 (.18 ounce) packet sazon seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large red potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 fresh or dried bay leaves
- Wash the chicken and pat dry; place into a large bowl. Season with adobo seasoning, sazon seasoning, and salt. Place the legs into a slow cooker, and cover with the potato slices.
- Puree the red pepper, green pepper, onion, garlic, cilantro, olive oil, wine, cumin, and oregano in a blender. Pour over the chicken and add the bay leaves.
- Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, until the chicken is easily removed from the bone.