Romanian Grilled Minced Meat Rolls
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 8 ounces chopped suet
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon finely ground juniper berries
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons beef broth
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef, suet, baking soda, caraway seeds, garlic, salt, pepper and juniper berries using your hands. Mix with your hands for about 15 minutes, adding a little bit of the water at a time. This part can be made a few hours ahead of time if you like.
- Preheat a grill for high heat. With wet hands form the meat into rolls about 3 inches long and 1 inch thick. Brush lightly with oil.
- Grill the meat for 5 to 10 minutes, basting frequently with a mixture of beef broth and any remaining oil, until well done.
Shortening as a Substitute for Suet
Suet is the fat found around the kidney and other organs in animals. It is a saturated fat and used traditionally in pastry, in steamed puddings and sweet mincemeat. There are ready-made vegetarian alternatives available which can be bought in leading supermarkets. Look for the brand Atora for both the meat and vegetarian versions.