Pioneer Potato Candy
“The main ingredients for this old fashioned candy are mashed potato and confectioners’ sugar. Salted peanuts can be substituted for shredded coconut for a different taste.”
- 1 pound semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup mashed cooked potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 pounds confectioners’ sugar
- 2/3 cup shredded coconut
- In the top of a double boiler, heat chocolate, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the potato, salt and vanilla. Sift the confectioners sugar over potato, stirring and adding about 1 cup at a time. Mixture will liquefy when first sugar is added then gradually begin to thicken.
- When it becomes the consistency of stiff dough, knead it even though not all the sugar has been added.
- After kneading, cover with a damp cloth and chill until a small spoonful can be rolled into a ball. Shape in small 1/2 inch balls. Dip balls in melted chocolate then roll in peanuts or coconut.