- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
- Grease 2 baking sheets.
- Melt margarine in a saucepan over medium heat; stir brown sugar and salt into the melted margarine. Mix in corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk; cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 250 degrees F (120 degrees C), 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat; fold in pecans. Stir vanilla extract into the caramel mixture.
- Drop spoonfuls of caramel onto the prepared baking sheet. Allow caramels to cool until firm.
- Cook and stir chocolate chips in a saucepan over medium-low heat until melted and smooth, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Dip cooled caramels in the melted chocolate; return to greased baking sheet. Cool until chocolate is set.