Saltado de Vainitas (Peruvian Green Beans with Chicken)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chile peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, divided
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 4 roma (plum) tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 2 (12 ounce) packages frozen French-style green beans, thawed
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- salt to taste
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat half the canola oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute garlic and chile peppers in hot oil until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chicken to the wok. Stir half the soy sauce and half the cumin into the chicken mixture; cook just until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer mixture to a bowl, retaining some of the drippings in the skillet and return to heat.
- Heat remaining oil in the skillet with the retained drippings. Stir onion with the remaining soy sauce and cumin into the oil mixture; cook and stir until the onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes to the onion mixture; cook and stir until the tomatoes begin to soften, about 1 minute.
- Return chicken mixture to the wok; add green beans and vinegar. Cook and stir the mixture until the green beans are tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and sprinkle cilantro over the mixture; toss to mix.