Swedish Rye Cookies
“This cookie has been hung on the family Christmas tree for generations. Guests take a treat from the tree and sit down for a cup of cheer. The first request from family members who cannot be home for Christmas is that we send a box of these as soon as possible.”
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in rye flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well and add enough water to moisten dough.
- Roll out onto floured board. The thinner the dough, the crispier the cookies will be. Cut into 2 1/2 inch rounds using cutter or floured glass. Cut small hole off center with a thimble (to hang on tree when done).
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) or until slightly brown. Cool and hang on tree with ribbon or yarn.