Perfect Coconut Macaroons
- 1 (14 ounce) package sweetened, flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Blend coconut, sugar, flour, vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt in a food processor until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Beat egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form.
- Fold coconut mixture into egg whites until just combined.
- Wet your hands. Roll spoonfuls of coconut mixture between palms to golf ball-size cookies; arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake cookies in the preheated oven until coconut is slightly golden and toasted, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool, 30 minutes.
- Line baking sheet with new piece of parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler over just-barely simmering water, stirring frequently and scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching.
- Dip half of each cookie in the chocolate and place on the prepared baking sheet. Place in refrigerator until chocolate is set, about 15 minutes.