Recipe By:Christine L.
“This bean soup can be made in 45 minutes. Substitute vegetable broth to create a vegetarian alternative.”
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, warm oil over moderate heat. Add onion, garlic, and sweet potatoes; saute 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, bay leaf, basil, thyme, and paprika. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium low. Cover. Simmer until vegetables are tender but not mushy, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in tomato, green beans, and chickpeas. Simmer uncovered until tender, about 10 minutes more. Serve hot.