Ice Cream Base
Recipe By:Autumn Pumpkin
A custard-style ice cream base that any number of flavors can be added to. We have used chocolate, banana, strawberry, cookie dough, and blueberries, and all were wonderful!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pour the heavy cream and half-and-half cream into a heavy saucepan, place over medium-low heat, and heat until barely simmering, stirring frequently. Turn the heat down to low.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly pour about 1/2 cup of hot cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Repeat three times more, whisking thoroughly before adding each additional 1/2 cup of hot cream to the egg yolk mixture. Pour the egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining hot cream, and whisk constantly over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens and will coat the back of a spoon, 5 to 8 minutes. Do not let mixture boil.
- Pour the ice cream base into a bowl and allow to cool for about 20 minutes; place in refrigerator and chill overnight. The next day, pour into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Remove the ice cream, pack into a covered container, and freeze for 2 hours or overnight before serving.