Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
“These twice baked tubers are both sweet and spicy.”
- 6 sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 3/4 tablespoon orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place potatoes on baking sheet and bake until just softened, about 1 hour. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Slice off 1/2 inch lengthwise from tops of potatoes. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4 inch thick shells. Reserve 4 shells; discard remaining 2. Mash pulp.
- In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add brown sugar, zest, salt, cumin, cinnamon, pepper and allspice. Cook until sugar melts, about 2-3 minutes.
- Combine onion mixture with mashed sweet potatoes. Stir in sour cream and cilantro.
- In bowl with mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold whites into sweet potato mixture.
- Spoon or pipe mixture back into shells. Place on baking sheets; bake until filling is just set and tops begin to brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.