Onion Gravy for British Bangers and Mash
Recipe By:Lupin Pooter
“Being a Brit, bangers & mash is a fairly regular staple on the household menu. I tried recipe after recipe for the perfect onion gravy to go with it, and this is by far and away the best.”
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in the melted butter until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and cook until onions are caramelized, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Stir flour into the caramelized onions and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour red wine, chicken stock (see Editor’s Note), Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce into the onion mixture; simmer until sauce is thickened, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.