Coconut Calamari Salad
- 1 pound cleaned calamari, sliced into thin rings
- 1 small Serrano pepper, minced
- 1 red Fresno pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onion, divided
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Combine calamari, serrano pepper, Fresno pepper, lime juice, 2 tablespoons green onion, coconut milk, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, and palm sugar together in a large bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until flavors blend, 2 to 3 hours. Pour calamari mixture into a colander set over a sink or bowl and drain, about 5 minutes. Discard liquid.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat until oil smokes. Cook and stir calamari mixture in hot oil until calamari turns white and firms, about 1 minute. Pour mixture into a large shallow serving bowl and cool to room temperature. Wrap and refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- Toss calamari and any accumulated juices together in the bowl. Add coconut flakes, cilantro, remaining green onion, and lime juice; stir.