Vietnamese Shaking Beef (Bo Luc lac)
- 2 lbs sirloin (trim off excess fat and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves (mince)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small red, white or yellow onion (slice into thin wedges)
- 1 garlic clove (mince)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
Lime Dipping Sauce (Optional)
- 2-3 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In large bowl, marinate beef with sugar, salt, black pepper, and minced garlic for at least one hour at room temperature or overnight in fridge for best results.
- In a large skillet, heat up vegetable oil on medium high. Add half of the beef cubes and sear on all sides by shaking beef until medium rare. No more than 2-3 minutes total. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with other half.
- To the now empty skillet, add butter. Once melted, add onions and garlic. Sautee until fragrant (about 1-2 minutes). Add soy sauce, fish sauce, honey, rice vinegar and sugar. Cook the mixture for about 2-3 minutes.
- Toss in seared beef cubes until nicely coated. Transfer beef and sauce onto a bed of lettuce, watercress, tomatoes, and/or cucumbers.
- Mix together the lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve shaking beef with rice, and lime dipping sauce on the side.