Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 6-7 pounds of fresh, ripe tomatoes (roma, early girl, beefsteak etc.)
- 1-2 Tbsp sugar, optional
- 1/2 tsp salt, optional
- Remove stems of tomatoes. Place 4-5 tomatoes at a time into a pan of boiling water for about 30 seconds until the skins begin to crack.
- Remove tomatoes from pan and place them into a bowl of ice water.
- After they have cooled for a few seconds remove the skin from the tomato.
- Place tomatoes into a high power blender (1/2 at a time) and blend until desired smoothness.
- If you’d like a chunkier sauce, just dice tomatoes before cooking.
- Place tomatoes puree or chunks into a pan and heat on the stove. Cook at medium heat, at a low simmer until desired thickness is achieved.
- 6-7 pounds will yield approx. 6-7 cups of sauce. How long your simmer the sauce for will affect the yield.