Mediterranean Grilled Eggplant Spread
“Grilled fresh veggies and herbs come together for a light spread that doubles as an add-in for grilled fish and chicken dishes. Try adding to pasta with fresh tomatoes and feta! Great served with a sauvignon blanc for warm summer nights.”
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced
- 2 thick slices red onion
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, or to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, or to taste
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- Arrange red bell pepper, eggplant, and onion slices on on the preheated grill; cook until red pepper is charred and eggplant and onion are tender with grill marks, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Place red pepper in a paper bag and close tightly to ‘sweat’, about 10 minutes; peel the charred skin off the pepper.
- Blend red bell pepper, eggplant, onion, olive oil, basil, oregano, lemon juice, sea salt, and black pepper in a food processor until smooth and spreadable. Stir in feta cheese.