- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds cubed stew meat
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 (16 ounce) can canned onions
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and ground black pepper. Coat the beef cubes with this mixture.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the meat and brown well on all sides. Pour this into a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add the onion, carrots and garlic to it. Saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until onion is tender. add the wine, bay leaf, parsley, thyme, and liquid from the mushrooms. Pour over meat.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 2 1/2 hours. Remove cover, add canned onions and mushroom crowns, and bake for 30 more minutes.