Shrimp Egg Foo Young
“A recipe making egg foo young patties and a delicious sauce to put on top. This is a very special recipe acquired when I worked at a Chinese restaurant to pay for my red ’66 VW bug when in high school! The recipe card is tattered and spotted now, but the dish is the best egg foo young I have ever had. Hope you enjoy it too! To serve, place egg patty over steamed rice and put the sauce on top.”
- 4 eggs
- 8 ounces fresh bean sprouts
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup cooked small shrimp
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Beat together the eggs, bean sprouts, green onions, shrimp, and garlic powder in a bowl until well-combined. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and scoop about 1/2 cup of the egg mixture into the skillet to make a patty. Fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side, and repeat with the remaining egg mixture. Set the patties aside.
- Whisk together the chicken broth, cornstarch, sugar, vinegar, and soy sauce in a saucepan over medium-low heat until the sauce simmers and thickens, about 5 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the patties.