Spicy Fish Soup
“A delicious fish soup that’s low in fat! Having grown up on the Texas/Mexico border, I like foods spicy, but you can adjust the seasonings to taste. I also splash in a drop of hot pepper sauce in each bowl.”
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (4 ounce) can canned green chile peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups canned peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup shrimp
- 1/2 pound cod fillets
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- Spray a large saucepan with the vegetable cooking spray over medium high heat. Add the onions and saute, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chili powder and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Then add the chicken broth, chile peppers and cumin, stirring well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Next, add the tomatoes, green bell pepper, shrimp and cod. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for another 5 minutes. Gradually stir in the yogurt until heated through.