Recipe By:Jen Lee
“My grandmother cooked very easy and delicious recipe for the guys during quail season. Pheasant can be substituted for the quail.”
- 8 quail
- garlic powder to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Heat the shortening in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the quail with the garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste. Place the flour in a shallow dish; roll the quail in the flour.
- Working in batches, brown the quail on all sides in the preheated shortening. Place the browned quail in a large roasting pan or casserole dish; pour the water over the quail and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (75 degrees C), taken in the thickest part of the thigh. Spoon the sour cream over the quails, allow the sour cream to melt before serving.