“This is a pungent chile condiment that is used as garnish over laksa dishes, dipping sauce for simple grilled fish or as a side condiment for any rice meals. It is considered a staple in a Malay household.”
- 1 tablespoon belacan (shrimp paste)
- 8 fresh red chile peppers, coarsely sliced
- salt to taste
- 2 small kasturi limes, halved
- Place belacan in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir until fragrant and toasted, about 5 minutes.
- Grind red chile peppers with salt using a mortar and pestle until coarsely ground. Add belacan and grind until evenly distributed. Squeeze limes over paste just before serving.