Khinkali (Georgian Beef and Pork Soup Dumplings)
Pork and Beef Stuffed Pasta Dumplings from the Republic of Georgia.
- 1 1/2 Pound ground beef
- 1 1/2 Pound ground pork
- 1/2 stick butter, softened (optional but recommended if using lean meat)
- 1 1/4 Cup water
- 2 small onions, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bunch cilantro with stems, minced (1/2 cup packed)
- 1/2 Teaspoon red pepper
- 1 Teaspoon salt
For the Dough:
- 4 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour (plus additional for rolling)
- 1 Cup warm water
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
For the Dough:
1. Combine all of the ingredients for the filling and set aside
2. Heat water until it is hot but not boiling.
3. Combine with sifted flour. The dough should be very stiff.
4. When the dough forms a smooth ball, set aside for 15 minutes.
5. Knead for an additional 6 minutes.
6. Cut the dough into 2 equal parts.
7. Roll the dough out on a clean floured surface.
8. Cut the dough into 3″ rounds.
9. Roll out each round until it is about 5 inches in diameter.
10. Place 1 1/2 tablespoons of filling in the center.
11. Pin the dumpling using an accordion style fold.
12. Pinch the top tightly to ensure no filling can escape.
13. Place the dumplings in a pot of salted boiling water. When they float to the surface after about 7 minutes (bottom up) they are done.
14. Place the dumplings on a serving platter.
15. Sprinkle with finely ground pepper (optional) and serve immediately.