Sweet and Spicy Venison Jerky
Recipe By:Kristi Whittington
“Sweet, with a kick to it.”
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 pound venison, cut into 1/4 thick strips
- Whisk together the sugar, black pepper, onion powder, garlic salt, lemon juice, liquid smoke, paprika, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, teriyaki sauce, and soy sauce in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add the venison strips and toss to evenly coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Mix the venison a few times as it marinates to ensure even absorption of the marinade.
- Remove the venison strips from the marinade and squeeze off excess. Discard the remaining marinade. Arrange the venison on the racks of a food dehydrator so that it does not overlap.
- Dry the venison on High until dry but still pliable, about 4 hours. The jerky should bend without breaking. Store the jerky in an airtight container or in a resealable plastic bag.