Slow Cooker Venison Sloppy Joes
“This recipe comes from my friend who is a guide in Alaska – it’s excellent for sandwiches, on rolls with sharp Cheddar cheese. Yum yum! Slow cooked in a slow cooker so even the toughest of roasts or stew meats will work; eventually the meat just falls apart! Also good served over hot cooked rice. Delicious!”
- 1/4 pound bacon
- 2 pounds venison stew meat
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon prepared Dijon-style mustard
- 1 cup ketchup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Remove from skillet, crumble and set aside. Brown stew meat in bacon grease for flavor.
- Put onion, sugar, vinegar, cumin, chili powder, garlic, mustard, ketchup, salt and pepper in slow cooker and mix well. Add bacon and venison and stir together.
- Cook for a minimum of 8 hours on Low setting. Use a fork to separate the meat into a thick and yummy Sloppy Joe-style barbecue.