Canadian Moose Lasagna
“Lasagna with a Canadian twist.”
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 pound ground moose
- 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 (24 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (9 ounce) package no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly coat a 9×13 inch pan with olive oil.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook onions and garlic in oil until tender and semi-transparent. Stir in mushrooms, and cook until soft. Remove from heat.
- In a sauce pan, combine spinach and 1/4 cup water. Cover, and cook over medium heat until wilted. Drain. In a large bowl, mix together spinach, onion mixture, and ricotta cheese.
- In a frying pan, brown moose meat over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. When the pink color is almost gone, stir in the cocoa and brown sugar. This removes the gamey-ness. Once the meat is well browned, drain to remove excess grease. Stir in spaghetti sauce and water, and season with oregano, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper.
- Ladle enough of the meat sauce into a 9×13 inch baking dish to cover the bottom in a thin layer. Arrange a single layer of oven ready noodles over the sauce. Spread one half of the ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles, and top with some of the tomato sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with a generous layer of mozzarella cheese. Cover pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until lasagna is hot and bubbly.