RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
CHEROKEE FRY BREAD TACOS INGREDIENTS: Serves 6
• 3 cups flour
• tablespoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1½ cups water
• vegetable oil ( for frying) Meat and Bean Mix
• 1½ lbs ground beef
• 1 (16 ounce) cans old el paso refried beans
• 1 (1¼ ounce) packages old el paso taco seasoning mix
• 1½ cups water Favorite Toppings
• sour cream
• shredded lettuce
• shredded cheese, Cheddar, Jack, Pepper Jack, Colby, or a mix
• diced ripe tomatoes
• chopped Spanish or Yellow onions
• Your favorite salsa
DIRECTIONS: MEAT/BEAN MIX(start first):
1. Thoroughly combine uncooked ground beef, refried beans, taco seasoning mix and water.
2. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
3. Uncover and continue to simmer until liquid is reduced and mixture is thick. This usually takes another 20 minutes or so – just enough time to make the Fry Bread. FRY BREAD TACOS:
1. Mix flour, baking powder and salt together well.
2. Add water gradually making sure the dough is stiff.
3. Pull off egg-sized balls of dough and quickly roll, pull, and on a floured surface pat them out into large, plate-sized rounds. They should be ⅛ thin in the middle and about ¼ inch thick around the edges.
4. Using a fork poke holes in the dough to prevent bubbles from forming.
5. In skillet, heat ½ inch vegetable oil. Brown dough circles on each side until golden brown. You will need to stand over the skillet and with your fork and poke at any bubbles that may come up.
6. When golden brown, lift from oil, shake gently to remove bulk of oil, and place on paper towels to drain.
7. Spread meat/bean mixture on Fry Bread and top with your favorite toppings.