Indian Spiced Lentils
Indian Spiced Lentils are delicious and easy to make!
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced in 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 1 tsp. minced garlic)
- 1 tsp. sweet curry powder
- 1 tsp. hot curry powder (or less, depending on how spicy you like it. You can also use your favorite curry powder blend instead of the sweet and hot curry powder.)
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock or 1 can chicken broth and 1/4 cup water (or use vegetable stock for vegetarian version)
- 3/4 cup chopped parsley (or less)
- salt/pepper to taste
- Heat oil in medium sized heavy pan, add onions, and saute 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1-2 minutes. Add curry powder to onion-garlic mixture and saute about 2 minutes more.
- Add lentils and stock, bring to a low simmer, then cover pan and cook until lentils are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Cooking time will depend on how old the lentils are, but after 30 minutes I would start to check every few minutes. You may need to add a little water towards the end if your stove doesn’t keep the simmer low enough. (I cooked the lentils in the photos for 38 minutes and then let them sit about 5 minutes with the lid on.)
- When lentils are done (soft but still slightly chewy), remove from heat, and let sit covered for 5 minutes while you chop the parsley.
- Stir in parsley, season with salt and pepper and serve hot.