- Prep Time 30 min
- Total Time 3 hr 20 min
- Servings 5
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound boneless venison, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces pearl onions (1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large potato, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, if desired
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Cook bacon in 4-quart Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Remove bacon with slotted spoon, reserving fat in Dutch oven, and drain on paper towels; reserve.
- Cook venison in bacon fat over medium-high heat about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown. Stir in 2 cups water, the wine, salt, thyme, marjoram and pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 2 hours or until venison is almost tender.
- Stir in onions, carrots and potato. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until vegetables and venison are tender.
- Shake 1/2 cup cold water and the flour in a tightly covered container; gradually stir into stew. Stir in browning sauce. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Sprinkle with bacon and parsley.
Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories from Fat
- Total Fat
- 5 g
- Saturated Fat
- 2 g
- 80 mg
- 580 mg
- 620 mg
- Total Carbohydrate
- 19 g
- Dietary Fiber
- 2 g
- 24 g
% Daily Value*:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
1 Starch; 1 Vegetable; 3 Very Lean Meat;
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.