Southern Ham and Brown Beans
3 h 10 m
“This recipe my family has been making for years. It goes great with cornbread, fried potatoes and onions .”
- 1 pound dry pinto beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 large, meaty ham hock or salt pork
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- Place the beans and water in a large stockpot. Add the ham hock, onion, jalapenos and garlic. Season salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and cook for 2 minutes. Cover, and remove from heat. Let stand for one hour.
- Return the pot to the heat, and bring to a boil once again. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for at least 3 hours to blend flavors. The longer you simmer, the thicker the broth will become. I like to cook mine for about 6 hours.
- Remove the ham hock from the broth, and let cool. Remove the meat from the bone, and return the meat to the stockpot, discarding the bone. Adjust seasonings to taste.