- 500g mussels
- 1 egg
- 80g breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp salt for mussels
- 1 lemon wedge
- cooking oil
Prep:30min › Cook:10min › Ready in:40min
- Throw away any mussels that have broken shells. If shells are opened, tap on them. If it’s alive, it’ll close else discard.
- Ligthly blanch mussels with salt water to open & purging them of sand. Clean & debeard shells, open them up & detach mussels.
- Rinse the mussels & drain. Mixed mussels with mayonnaise. Add pepper to breadcrumbs.
- Roll mussels in breadcrumbs, dip into beaten egg & coat with crumbs again.
- Deep-fry till golden brown. Squeeze lemon wedge just before serving…… and here’s your tray of S$1 mussels.
To enhance the taste, I marinated the mussels with mayonnaise, coated them with breadcrumbs, then deep-fried. It didn’t turn out too well, there wasn’t enough crunch. Unsatisfied, I took a couple more marinated ones, rolled them in crumbs, dipped into beaten egg, coated with breadcrumbs again, then deep-fried.