True Belgian Waffles Recipe
It was on a visit to my husband’s relatives in Belgium that I was given this waffle recipe. Back in the U.S., I served the waffles to his Belgian-born grandmother. She said they tasted just like home. Our grandkids love these waffles with any kind of topping: blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, fried apples, powdered sugar or whipped topping. —Rose Delemeester, St. Charles, Michigan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sliced fresh strawberries or syrup
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. In another bowl, lightly beat egg yolks. Add milk, butter and vanilla; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- 2. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Serve with strawberries or syrup. Yield: 10 waffles (about 4-1/2 inches).
2 each: 696 calories, 41g fat (25g saturated fat), 193mg cholesterol, 712mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC