|50 lb cabbage
5 lbs onions
1 pkg pickling spice
1 small pkg bay leaf
5 gal plastic pail
|1 seasoned piece of hardwood
1 large heavy smooth
– Shred cabbage and onions together (10 to 1 ratio) and layer into plastic pail. Mix enough salt to start the curing process.
– Pack each layer using downward pressure (re: wooden stick) until ingredients extract some liquid juice. Add 1 or 2 bay leaves and 2 tbsp pickling spice wrapped in gauze or cheesecloth.
– Repeat steps one and two until pail is almost full.
– Cover cabbage firmly with cheesecloth. Place hardwood or plastic on top of cheesecloth. Place beach stone on top.
– Leave pail in warm area to ferment. Drain off juice once a week leaving enough juice to cover wood or plastic.
– Clean stone, cheesecloth, etc. once a week as mold will form as cabbage is curing.
– Taste each week for desired flavour (usually 3 to 4 weeks).