Braised Sweet and Sour Purple Cabbage
Author: Olga’s Flavor Factory
Recipe type: Sides
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- ½ head of purple cabbage, sliced
- 1-2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons red or black currant jam, jelly or preserves
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, optional
- ½ cup water
- 1 green apple, peeled and julienned
- fresh green onions, parsley, and/or dill, minced, optional (to garnish)
- Shred the cabbage, slice the onion, mince the garlic, peel and julienne the apple.
- In a skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon of oil. Add the onion, season with salt and cook for about 3-5 minutes, until softened and slightly golden.
- Add the cabbage, garlic and season with salt again. Cook on medium high heat until the cabbage has softened slightly.
- Pour in the water, add the vinegar, brown sugar and jam. Mix to combine, cover the skillet and cook on medium low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the apple and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Season with more salt, if it needs it and also add more sugar or lemon juice, depending on how you prefer your braised cabbage to taste.
You can enjoy the cabbage both warm and cold. It would be a perfect side dish for roasted poultry or pork. I even enjoyed a bowl just by itself. It’s slightly acidic and has some sweetness too, and I especially love that it still has some crunch to it, and isn’t mushy.