Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars
Makes 12-16 bars, depending how large you cut them. Bars stay fresh for up to one week in a covered container at room temperature or in the refrigerator. *Vegan option:* see note below. *Gluten Free option:* see note below.
- 2 and 1/2 cups (200g) old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant or quick oats)
- 1/4 cup (50g) dark brown sugar, loosely packed (or light brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (120ml) almond milk (regular or soy milk would be fine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (or 1 “flax” egg – see note below for vegan option)
- 2 large very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup (85g) creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup (90g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (90g) peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 8×8 square (or 9×9 inch) baking pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix together oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add in the milk, vanilla, and egg. Mix together until evenly combined. Add mashed bananas, peanut butter, chocolate chips, and peanut butter chips. Stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool and cut into bars.
Sally’s Notes: These bars can easily be made vegan by using vegan chocolate chips + vegan putter butter chips and using a “flax egg” instead of a regular egg. Flax egg = mix 1 tbsp ground flax with 3 tbsp warm water and let it sit for 10 minutes while it “gels” up. Use the “flax gel” as a replacement for the egg. Make sure your oats are certified gluten free to ensure these bars will be gluten free.