Green Borsch – Spinach Potato Soup
Author: Olga from Olga’s Flavor Factory
Recipe type: Soups
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2-3 potatoes, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 onion
- 4 cups (packed tightly) chopped spinach or sorrel
- 2-3 Tablespoons lemon juice (only if you’re using spinach)
- 4-5 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- sour cream, to garnish
- Start by pouring the broth into a pot.
- If you don’t have any broth handy and want to start from scratch, place a few chicken wings or drumsticks into a pot of water, add a small quartered onion, a few cloves of garlic, a dry bay leaf and some black peppercorns, season with salt to taste and cook for about 40 minutes. Strain the broth through a sieve lined with a paper towel or a cheesecloth. Save the meat from the wings or drumstick. (Of course, you can use any other meat from a chicken).You can also make this soup vegetarian, by substituting vegetable broth.
- Bring the broth to a boil. Dice the potatoes, chop the carrots and finely mince the onion.
- Add to the broth and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook the soup until the potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the spinach or sorrel.
- Add to the soup when the vegetables are cooked through. Squeeze in the lemon juice. You will only need to cook the spinach for a minute or two.
- Add the cooked chicken to the soup at this point.
- Garnish the soup with chopped hard boiled eggs and a dollop of sour cream.