Follow our Step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for making Old Fashioned Buttermilk Pancakes. A deliciously easy, made from scratch recipe for equally delicious pancakes. We’re cooking these in our cast iron griddle but any frying pan or griddle will work. Just top with butter and syrup for a quick and easy breakfast meal that you can say you made all by yourself.
- 1 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 ¼ cup Buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons Lard or shortening.
- Sift together dry ingredients, Flour, Baking Powder, Salt and Sugar, set aside.
- Mix together wet ingredients, Egg, Buttermilk and Lard, set aside.
- Test the griddle: Place a few drops of cold water on griddle, if they dance about, griddle is ready.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just slightly dampened. Ignore the lumps.
- Pour 1/2 cup of batter onto heated griddle.
- When edges of pancakes become dry and some of the bubbles break, turn them.
- The second side will cook in about ½ the time it took to cook the first side.
- Remove from griddle.
- Rub the griddle with the salt bag between making each pancake to clean, if needed.
- Add just a little oil to lightly grease the griddle before adding more batter.
- Serve warm with syrup and Enjoy.
Melted Butter may also be used instead of Lard or Shortening.