Hunter’s Sauce with Mushrooms
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 2 cups
About This Recipe
“This sauce is also known as sauce chasseur. It’s a nice brown sauce with mushrooms. I sometimes substitute this sauce when the recipe calls for golden mushroom soup.”
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped mushroom
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup left over home made beef gravy ( or brown gravy/brown sauce made from a packet such as Knorr’s)
- 2 -5 drops maggi seasoning ( or other flavor enhancer like Kitchen Bouquet, or even Worcestershire sauce)
- salt and pepper
- Saute onions in butter until very tender.
- Add mushrooms and saute additional 2- 3 minutes.
- Add wine, simmer, and reduce by half.
- Add tomato puree and gravy and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to your taste with Maggi, salt and pepper.
- You can also add your favorite herbs to this sauce.