Venison Summer Sausage
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 1 hr 50 mins
- Yield: 5-6 8
About This Recipe
“This is an excellent recipe for “what to do with all that deer meat” and is also good done with only ground beef, as many ranchers end up with alot of hamburger after the steaks are gone. The 1# of hamburger is necessary as venison, if ground lean, tends to be very dry. I can’t keep this stuff in the house–my family loves it and it is very low fat snack. I got this from a former president of the ND Cattlewomen.”
- 3 lbs ground venison ( deer, elk, antelope This MUST be ground lean, as the tallow on venison is what gives it the “wild” t)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder ( or a tad more)
- 4 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 4 tablespoons Morton Tender Quick salt
- Mix all together thoroughly.
- Form into 2-21/2″ logs about 8″ long.
- Pack tightly as possible.
- Wrap in aluminum foil, shiny side inches.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Take out, turn over and pierce foil several times with a fork.
- Bake on a sprayed broiler rack over broiler pan at 325°F for 1 1/2 hour.
- Unwrap and remove to rack to finish dripping.
- Rewrap and refrigerate or freeze.