Fresh Organic Catsup
“Use organic ingredients to make this home made ketchup with no sodium. Perfect for the Paleolithic Diet.”
- 4 pounds tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, apple juice, and cayenne pepper in a soup pot. Bring to a boil. Place the bay leaf, cloves, celery seed and peppercorns into a spice bag or wrap in cheesecloth. Add to the pot and continue to boil, stirring frequently until the mixture has reduced by half.
- Remove the spice bag and stir in the lemon juice. Continue to boil for 10 more minutes, then remove from the heat. Pour into a container with a lid and refrigerate until using. Use or freeze within 1 week.